What to Do If Police Do Not Arrive on the Scene of an Auto Accident

insurance attorney myrtle beachAuto accidents can be dangerous for you and your vehicle. Thankfully, not every auto accident results in severe injury or property damage. In Myrtle Beach, especially during high traffic periods or on busy roads and highways, it is common for police to fail to respond to a low-damage auto accident. Generally speaking, if you can drive your car away and you don’t require an ambulance, police will not arrive on the scene.

You should always call the police whenever there is an auto accident, but sometimes they will advise you to file a walk-in report. There are several steps you need to take in this situation. While it is acceptable to leave the scene of an accident without police arriving on the scene, you still need to protect yourself and make sure a report is filed.

Gather Information

Always call the police to report the accident. If they recommend that you file a report in-person, gather some information before leaving the scene. You will need the name of the other driver and any passengers, the make and model of the vehicles involved, the license plate number, and the other driver’s insurance company and phone number. You may also want to take pictures of how the cars ended in the accident and any factors in the environment that may have contributed to the wreck.

Seek Medical Attention

Even before filing a police report, seek medical attention. You may not be injured badly enough to need an ambulance, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t injured. Some injuries are not immediately apparent. Between the rising adrenaline to the distractions of handling the situation, you may not notice your injuries right away. Many cases of whiplash and other injuries are only detectable hours after the fact, or by a professional.

File a Police Report

Go to the police station in Myrtle Beach to report your accident. They will provide you with the necessary forms. If you did a good job of information gathering before leaving the scene, you will be able to complete the forms easily. You will also have to sign a form stating that you have insurance coverage.

Once you have completed these steps, you will have initiated the process to get compensation. Your next steps will be to contact the insurance companies involved. If there is any doubt as to your ability to be compensated for your injuries and property damage, contact a Myrtle Beach attorney for assistance.