Injured on Vacation? Get Compensation
You go on vacation to get away from the stress and drudge of your everyday life, but sometimes vacations end in injury. Going on a vacation to somewhere like Myrtle Beach often times means vacation rentals, boating, and lots of time outdoors enjoying the sunshine. Unfortunately, these types of activities mean you are relying on those around you to keep you safe. When you receive an injury while on vacation, you may not know what your legal rights for compensation are, especially if you are visiting from another state. The good news is that if you have been injured due to another persons’ negligence while on vacation in Myrtle Beach, you may be able to be compensated for your medical bills, as well as pain and suffering- even if you live somewhere else full time.
Have I Waited Too Long?
If you are reading this now, you may be wondering if it is too late to file a lawsuit for a previous injury. Thankfully, according to South Carolina law, you have three years after the date of an injury to file a complaint. This is called a statute of limitations. If you let this statute of limitations expire you will not be able to seek justice for your injury. That is why it is important to try to file as soon as possible since you do not want to miss your opportunity for justice.
How Do I Know if I Can Sue?
Injuries that may occur with more frequency on vacation include:
- Boating Accidents- If you have been hit by someone in another boat, or the driver of the boat you are in was acting with negligence towards your safety, you may be able to sue him or her for damages.
- Biking Accidents- If you rented a bike that was improperly maintained, or were riding in a designated bike area that was damaged, and you were injured.
- Injuries at vacation rentals- If the property had safety hazards that the owner intentionally did not fix, and it caused you to be injured.
- Injuries on hotel property- If you fell and slipped, or were otherwise injured on hotel property due to the management’s’ failure to properly maintain safety standards.
- Dog bites- In South Carolina, owners are liable if their dog bites someone, even if it was the first time it has ever occurred.
- Automobile Accidents- Any time you are injured in an automobile accident, and you were not at fault you may qualify for compensation.
If you have suffered an injury like these and had to receive medical care you may have wracked up significant medical bills, and suffered serious pain. Vacations should be a time where you can escape your problems, not create more. If you have sustained an injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, you should consider consulting with an attorney in the location where the injury took place, as this would be where the lawsuit would be processed. If the injury took place in Myrtle Beach or surrounding area, the experts at The Law Offices of N. David DuRant would be able to assist you in filing a complaint and receiving compensation for your injury. Call or contact us today for more information.